Un-Official Work Day Report For

14th, 15th, 16th March 2012

During these three days Kit and Mel worked on the draw bar ends of E train.

 

Report on Stage 1 work on TC1

  

The whole of March 14th 2011 was spent working on the pin joint casting on the south end of TC1. The original situation is shown below, but has been complicated now by the positioning

of the TC1 access platform immediately over the top of the casting itself.

 


 

As further work would be worthless unless the four casting bolts could be removed it was decided to attempt this first, removing the bolts one a time and replacing each bolt before removing the next. As the vehicle end is supported by the wooden block seen above, immediately under the casting itself, removal of all the bolts would have resulted in the vehicle end collapsing onto the steering beam.

 

Each bolt was subjected to a 2-3 hour soak in Plusgas and the specially bought 5/8 ah hex driver was used to remove the first, top right hand bolt. It required two 10 1/2 drive socket extensions to generate enough torque to remove the bolt, but this was eventually carried out successfully. The use of an offset 1/2 drive ratchet wrench was found to be very useful in the confined space available.

The threads of the bolt were greased and it was replaced using enough torque as was possible with the twin socket extensions.

 

The lower right hand block proved to be much more difficult to remove as with the hex driver in place it proved to be impossible to attach the 1/2 square socket drive extensions and the ratchet was not long enough to produce enough torque to loosen the bolt. Richard produced a 'special tool' in the shape of a 4' length of scaffolding pole which, when slid over the end of the ratchet proved to me more than adequate for the job. This bolt in turn was greased and replaced.

 

The two left hand bolts were also removed, greased and replaced in similar fashion but with more difficulty due to having to work underneath the access platform. Since the original report  was written the wooden support block has been crushed somewhat, presumably due to the increase in loading caused by the restoration work inside the vehicle, and this should be replaced once we jack this end of TC1 when it comes to removing the casting in the near future.

 

It should be noted that this is the first time these bolts have been removed since their original assembly in 1971!

 

Kit Spackman

APT-E Support Group.

March 20112

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Report on Stage 1 work on PC2

  

March 15th and 16th were spent in attempts to remove the similar casting from the south end of PC2. Theoretically this one should have been easier to remove as access was a lot easier through the hole in the middle of the joint module floor.

 

This proved to be the case and Mel and I managed to remove all four bolts, and with the aid of the ratchet wrench and the 'Special Tool' it took less than an hour to get them all out. However the casting remained in place and even attempts to 'assist' it to fall off using larger and larger hammers proved to be ineffective.

 


Further investigation with a torch and much gymnastic contortions showed us that there were four more vertical nuts and bolts clamping a circular section extension to the casting to the frame of the body, thus explaining it's reluctance to fall off...

 


 

The vertical nuts proved to be larger than any of the available ring spanners or sockets at the Museum and measured 1.5 AF but this is almost exactly 38 mm and Mel managed to find such a socket with the aid of her 'all singing-all dancing' mobile phone, at a Machine Mart in Darlington, together with the required 3/4 square drive wrench. I went there and bought these and we re-convened on the 16th to continue the work, but access to the nuts was extremely difficult and required even MORE contortions than we'd attempted previously!

 


 


By dint of Mel attaching the socket and wrench from her position shown above and me using the 'Special Tool' over the end of the wrench from trackside we managed to break the joint on all four nuts. These were progressively loosened and removed but only after we'd replaced the horizontal bolts we'd previously removed as we suspected that the entire casting could drop onto the steering beam once all eight nuts and bolts were removed.

 

Mel had noticed two small jacking screws mounted near the horizontal bolts (see top photo) and we surmised that the casting may have been dowelled in place but felt we could not rely on that being the case and replaced the horizontal bolts anyway.

 


With all four of the vertical nuts and saddle clamps removed we then returned to the Joint Module and progressively removed the horizontal bolts once more, but we'd taken the precaution to block up the casting with pieces of scrap wood beforehand. When the upper left hand bolt was being removed it became apparent that there were no dowels as the casting could be seen to be dropping, and once the last bolt was removed the casting fell onto the packing pieces with a satisfactory 'THUMP!'

 

Using the 'Special Tool' we levered the packing pieces from beneath and the casting was left lying in on top of the steering beam to be removed at a later date.

 


 


As a result of this work and the future complications it will entail, a revised method of Stage 2 of this work will be produced in the near future.

 

Kit Spackman

APT-E Support Group.

March 20112

Back to the Support Group homepage.